Saturday, October 9, 2010

THE UNFORTUNATE KESHAV…

B i r e n

Well, with the inauguration of the CWG-2010, the seven year old boy Keshav from Puducherry is introduced to the international audience. He mesmerized the audience with his Tabla performance in the inaugural ceremony at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on October 3. He was privileged enough to steel the show and be the first shining star among the one thousand drummers who performed along with him in the gala . I came across yet another child Keshav while in search of human interest story…

It was nine in the morning of October 4, and I thought to go out from the NISCORT campus to hunt for human interest stories. I headed towards Vaishali sector-II and in a little while I came across a small boy of about seven years old, walking opposite to me with a half filled small sack on his back. He was silent and quick enough to spot a garbage site and engaged to pick up small plastic bottles like any other rag picker. I stopped and watched him for a minute. The uncombed and shabby looked boy was happy enough to identify his item of interest and grabbed with out wasting time. “What is your name?” was that I suddenly asked him to draw his attention as he was gently placing his items in the sack. But I was disappointed…the boy did not even show any interest in answering my question. He rather sped up in his search…after a few seconds I pointed out a bottle that was underneath, he picked up and placed it in the sack and walked away along with his belongings. I just looked him for a few seconds and resumed my walk. I was a bit disturbed, not that I had never encountered such human miseries before…What shocked me was the boy’s attitude towards life.His stoic silence and the zeal and zest for life amidst abject poverty! Had he been born in a well to do family, to rich parents! Had he been given good education, nutritious food and expensive clothing! I thought.

I would like to call him the ‘unfortunate Keshav’. There are thousands of Keshavas like him around us, eking out an existence like this and living far away from the glamour and glitter of the Games!

No comments:

Post a Comment